I had a pleasure to come across freelance graphic designer and illustrator Chiharu Nakamura from Tokyo. She tells us how she got started as well as giving advice to new graphic designers.
1. Tell me about yourself.
I am a freelance graphic designer and illustrator and used to live 3 years in Holland for my study graphic design.
Since I returned to Japan (Tokyo) in 2004, I have been working as a freelance graphic designer and illustrator.
I started working with hair make-up artist Shinobu Igari for ekore (http://www.ekore-tokyo.com/) from the end of 2012 onward. The concept is drawing famous people who are present in a school history books.
2.What do you enjoy the most about being graphic designers?
Talking and thinking about a project with people.
3. Who inspires you?
All my friends inspire me when we are spending time together.
4. How do you think the internet has influenced the graphic design being produced today?
I don’t need to be front of my PC all day.
5. What, besides your work, is your passion?
Spending time in my favorite book store with coffee and laughing a lot with my friends.
6. What are you working on right now?
Making a booklet for a musician.
7. For what do you use social media?
For research and to show my work.
8. Are you in any magazine or your work been in any exhibition ?if so what, when, why, where and how:
I’m making a illustration for a column for fashion magazine ‘’otona MUSE’’ every month.